Depression is a serious illness and about one in ten people will experience depression at some point. Depression can affect people of any age, including children. A lot times we don’t necessarily realize that we are suffering from depression, but it disturbs our normal lives if it is ignored for too long.
There are some common signs of depression, if you can identify with several of them and they won’t easily go away, the chances are that you are more or less suffering from depression.
1. Having sleeping problems, sleepless or sleep too much.
2. Having feelings of helplessness, hopelessness and nothing will get better.
3. Significant weight loss or weight gain, eating too much or too little.
4. Having trouble concentrating, making decisions, or remembering things.
5. Loss of interest in daily activities, even the ones you found very interesting and easy to accomplish before.
6. Being irritable and bad-tempered than usual.
7. Feeling lack of energy, fatigue, sluggish, heavy all the time.
8. More physical pains, such as headaches, back pain, stomach pain etc.
9. Strong feeling of self-criticizing, having thoughts that life is not worth living (this one is serious, seek help immediately!)
10. Experience of lowered sexuality.
Besides looking for professional helps, there are two acupuncture points you can use to relieve and cure depression yourself, they are Nei-guan points (PC 6) and Tai-chong points (LR 3).
Nei-guan points are located on the center lines of the arms on the inner sides, 3 cun (the width of your thumb at the mid joint is one ‘cun’, the width of middle three fingers at the mid joints is two ‘cun’, the width of the four fingers without the thumb at mid joints is three ‘cun’.) from the wrist lines. They belong to the pericardium meridians and are responsible for heart health, mentality normalization and psychological wellbeing.
Tai-chong points belong to the liver meridians and are responsible for liver health, alleviating irritability, clearing mind and stabilizing emotions.
Pressing and massaging these two points on both sides for 5 to 10 minutes each everyday and whenever feeling down will lift your spirit and recharge your body and mind with energy over the time. If you can massage Tai-chong points after a hot water foot bath before going to bed in the night, the result will be greater.
In additional, there is an acupuncture point called Tan-zhong point (CV 17), it is a very important point for enhancing mood. Tan-zhong point belongs to the conception vessel and is the midpoint between the centers of the breasts. It collects chest energy and provides energy for the heart. It has close relationship with our emotions. Whenever you feel sad, upset or angry, massage this point, it will calm you down and give you peaceful feelings.
Massage Tan-zhong point in a clock wise direction with 4 fingers closed or rub this point downwardly. 100 times or 2 to 3 minutes daily is an easy and good practice. There are many other benefits of massaging Tan-zhong point: improving breast health (especially for women); easing or curing asthma, cough, congested chest, fast heart beats etc.
Finally, having a positive attitude towards life is always the key to stay away from depression. Be more tolerant and forgiving, listen to peaceful and joyful music, talk to cheerful friends, participate meaningful activities and let go of things that you can’t control.
Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a substitute for personal medical care and advice. You should always consult a healthcare professional about any health condition before starting any therapy and health program.